Gary Beatty, American Specialty Health
- X12 Leadership
- Current Chair, ASC X12
- Vice-chair ASC X12
- Chair, X12N Insurance Subcommittee
- Co-chair, Healthcare Task Group
- Co-chair, Healthcare Claim Workgroup
- Co-chair, Coordination of Benefits Workgroup
- Industry Representation Experience
- Current Chair, ASC X12
- ONC FAST Tiger Team – Testing and Certification
- National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics
- Designated Standards Maintenance Organizations
- Workgroup for EDI
- Data Interchange Standards Association
- Electronic Healthcare Network Accreditation Commission
- Health Care Electronic Commerce Foundation
- I have over 35 years’ experience implementing EDI in the grocery, retail, manufacturing, insurance, and healthcare industries. The last 30 years of which I have focused on EDI implementation for healthcare payers, providers, vendors, and governmental agencies including the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Department of Defense, and the Social Security Administration.
I have provided industry leadership as the current chair of ASC X12. I have also held leadership positions as ASC X12 vice-chair, chair of the X12N Insurance Subcommittee, co-chair of the Health Care Task Group, Health Care Claims and Coordination of Benefits Workgroups, chair of the Designated Standards Maintenance Organizations (DSMO), member of the Workgroup for EDI (WEDI) board of directors, the Data Interchange Standards Association (DISA) board of directors, the Executive Director of the Healthcare Electronic Commerce Foundation (HECF), and past commissioner of the Electronic Healthcare Network Accreditation Commission (EHNAC) commissioners. I have provided testimony several times before the National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics (NCVHS) dealing with healthcare EDI standards, security, and standardized medical records. The NCVHS is responsible for providing guidance to the Secretary of Health and Human Services on issues related to HIPAA.
As ASC X12 Chair I will continue to focus on the Annual Release Cycle (ARC) with enhancements to our Maintenance Request process and work with staff and developers to enhance our development and publication tools used to support the ARC. I will also work with our X12 leadership to encourage and foster leadership opportunities to support our development processes. Promoting our standards will also be a key responsibility as we promote the enhancements to our standards and work products which is especially important for X12’s health care transactions.
I appreciate the opportunity I have had to lead ASC X12 over the years and look for your support in doing so again over the next 2 years.